Interview with the Ballarat/Geelong Australian band Fall and Resist.

Image

1 Let's start out with you giving your name and socials. Plug them below.


www.fallandresist.com

www.facebook.com/fallandresist

https://open.spotify.com/artist/5Bihe6Yte4KoVmSj0L8seq?si=Fpn0D-6PTvKEp3bGAaZsuA

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/fall-and-resist/1165631871

https://fallandresist.bandcamp.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBesKsAa945kOfYQEEPMV_g

2 Where are you from/Where are you based out of?
We are from Ballarat/Geelong in Australia. We play a lot of shows in regional Victoria and it is where we are most known.


3 Name at least one weird habit that you have that you regularly do, and has anyone ever noticed you doing it?
The worst habit that I and our bassist Rory has developed a bad habit of yelling 'you're a band!' every time we play a gig. It's sometimes taken with happiness, other times with horror...


4 What do you think about Heavy Vibe? Or media in general, if you could say something to let all people working in media know, what would it be?
I love anything that is out there to try to expose underground bands trying to make it. Every little bit counts and thanks to you for giving a crap enough to make stuff happen.



5 What do you like most about working in the music industry and what do you like least about it?
My band - definitely. We get along really well and enjoy each other's company - I couldn't think of a better group of people to do this with. Least? Rampant egos. Nothing worse than someone who thinks they are owed the world...



6 Do you have a mentor?
I'm a constant learner, and while I don't have 1 specific person who is teaching me stuff about the music industry, I have a heap of people I draw on when I need to know what to do.


7 If you could meet one celebrity, who would you meet? (dead or alive)
Jesus Christ. Although I don't speak Hebrew - he has a lot to answer for.


8 What was your dream job when you were you were younger?
To be honest, I wanted to be an actor! Might still become one, one day...



9 Name something that makes you uncomfortable, pet peeve, phobia, etc. and explain why.
Being a teacher I really struggle with the word 'got'. There are so many better words to use than 'got'. Received, achieved, even attaining! It needs to be taken around the back and shot.


10 Who is the best cook in the band?
It depends on what you're talking about. Brendon is a pit-master, so if you're looking for slow-cooked meats, here's your man. Ben is Italian and has worked hospitality for most of his life, so he's good at most things. I'm good at my breads and casseroles and Rory is good at picking out the best restaurants (that we never end up going to).


11 Where was or would be your favorite place to perform?
We haven't played there yet, but it is a goal for us to play Max Watts House of Music in Melbourne.


12 Name one time you have broken the rules.
I once broke into my school canteen on the weekend and stole a whole box of lifesavers. I didn't even like them though, so I gave them individually to my friends, who thought I was just being a nice bloke.


13 Who is your biggest musical influence?
Niklas Sundin from Dark Tranquillity. He's an amazing writer, musically and lyrically.



14 If you could go on tour with any band or artist, who would you go with?
Dark Tranquillity - definitely! Although, there is a heap more. Psychostick, Machine Head, In Flames, At the Gates, etc. But from Australia? Blunt Shovel, Amoderndeath, Orpheus Omega would all be amazing choices.


15 Do you like spicy food? Why?
Na, I'm a pain wimp - although Brendon LOVES it and has an iron stomach.


16 Are you usually late, early, or on time?
Generally, early, less though since I've had kids.



17 How often do you use the internet?
EVERY DAY! If not every 5-10 minutes.



18 What scares you the most, and why does it scare you so much?
I have reaccuring dreams of being late for class/being disorganized/not knowing what I'm doing. It's horrible! I'm a very organized person who doesn't like to be all over the shop.



19 What is your favorite kind of animal and why?
Probably cat - we recently acquired one and she's become my best friend who is harier than me.


20 What is the nastiest thing a fan has ever done to you, and what is the best thing a fan has ever done? 
I had a fan give me her room key once, knowing I am married (I didn't do anything about it, but it was pretty on the nose). Have had a fan once send me a personalized message about how much the music has helped him. That was pretty sweet.



21 What is your favorite song by your band, and what is your favorite song to perform at shows?
This question is so loaded haha! Brendon would say Vengeance, which has never and will never be recorded. My favourite is When Virtues Break, but we never play that one haha! My favourite we play live is Severity, it's an emotional song and hits hard with the line 'I cannot stop this rage!'


22 What is one song or band that whenever you listen to it/them you can’t stand to listen to it?
I listen to a lot of stuff, but Disturbed really gets my goat. I know heaps of people love it, but it's just not my jive at all.



23 Make me a playlist, put some songs that you have been listening too lately here.
Orpheus Omega - In Time
Blunt Shovel - Destination Dog Food
As I Lay Dying - Blinded
Josh Pyke - This Summer
Rise Against - Satellite
Korn - Black Is The Soul
ANKL - Lost Days of Delysid
Pscyhostick - Rent In Peace
Moustache Ant - Titties
It's a bit of a mix, but that's my taste!


24 Back to the Nasty. What’s the nastiest thing that’s happened to you before a show, recording, traveling, anything related to your work.
Probably best we don't say. No sense in bringing up things we're just going to have to repress for the next decade.



25 Tell me about your recent Album.
Fading Cinders. The album is structured with an orchestral track, 4 tracks that focus on anger, another orchestral track, then 4 tracks that focus on sadness. Our sound is very much moulded by anger and sadness, and we really tried to explore the depths of this in this release and feel that we achieved something we are very proud of. Troy (audio ninja) did an amazing job of pushing us out of our comfort zones - especially vocally. I distinctly remember, after giving my best performance I thought I could ever do, Troy leaning back on his chair, pressing his fingertips together and saying, 'I don't believe you...what's the song about?' It was so amazingly challenging and a great experience for me.
A lot of these songs had some form for a few years, and were reformed after we all started to play them as a group. I tried to push myself in the complexity of my writing and lyrics and tried to write to the strengths of each member of the band. The cover was digitally created by Rhodri Mccormick, who is an amazing graphic designer who completely understands the feeling of the album.


26 Where do you think your music direction is heading? Have you felt you have changed a lot? Elaborate.
We have written an EP which is set to be recorded with Monolith studios in early 2020. The tracks have a more progressive thrash bend with our Melo-deathcore. I can see us beginning to move to a more progressive/post-metal sound, but time will tell.



27 What are your future plans, this isn’t just music-related? 
Personally? I just finished my masters and am looking into beginning my Ph.D. As a band, we have a bit of a bucket list of things that we want to do before this is over - more releases, play with a big band, play certain venues and festivals etc. But overall, we in it for the good times.


29 Say some advice to anyone trying to go into music.
Stay true to who you are and what you want to do. Stay positive and realize that there are ups and downs and that is ok. Your aim should be to make music you love to play.


30 Who is the most exciting person you have worked with music-wise?


So far? Probably Troy the audio ninja. He's worked with some of my favorite Aussie bands and has some amazing insight!





Comments